Covid Currency


Thanks to my chronic pain issue, I do a lot of shopping through Amazon. This week, Amazon has been wiped out but, luckily, I already had the things I normally order. Well, except Nutella. Figuring the grocery stores are probably out of Nutella, I checked Amazon but didn't expect to find any unless it was being scalped at $40. a jar.  It was quite an experience scrolling through all of the item listings that had pictures but no prices because they are not available – lotions, soaps, cleaning products, canned food, shelf-stable milk, bottles juice, basically everything, including jars of Nutella.

But I remembered that last year, I had ordered a set of tiny glass jars (.88 oz) of Nutella, partly because they were adorable and partly because I wanted to use the glass jars for storage of small items. I was surprised to see that a few of the sets were still available, and at their normal price! 

They arrived today. The photo makes it look like I'm hoarding – which, by the way, I abhor – but the coin on top of the bottom row shows how small they are. Even at that size, I am all set for a long isolation period.


I'm not accustomed to posting on Facebook so I sent a text out to friends with the Nutella photo. Within seconds, my neighbor texted, offering a roll of toilet paper for some Nutella. I told her she was welcome to the Nutella free of charge and since her stepson happened to be out for a walk, I met him by my driveway with a small bag to hand some over. Don't worry, we kept our distance – I put the bag down and stepped away from it.

About 30 minutes later, my neighbor announced that she'd left toilet paper on my front step. In fact, it was hanging on my front door handle.


I opened the door to grab it. Unfortunately, my front door handle slopes down toward the step and my front yard slopes down toward the road so when I opened the door from the inside, the roll fell off of the handle, and onto the step, and under a bush, and rolled down the front yard with me chasing it toward the street in full view of all my neighbors.

It was like "On Top Of Spaghetti" only it wasn't a meatball!




Jill Wragg is a retired police officer in Massachusetts.
She can be reached at JKWragg@yahoo.com

ill Wragg

No comments: